Sugar cubes are easy to make. I’ve made them before – you can see the peppermint sugar cubes I made last year to use up leftover candy canes here.
To make lemon sugar cubes, you’ll need a lemon, sugar, water and some type of mold.
- Grate the peel of your lemon using a fine grater.
- Mix together 2/3 cup sugar, the grated lemon and 1 teaspoon of water. The mixture should be moist but not overly wet. If your mixture is too dry, add a drop of water at a time until desired consistency.
- Press the sugar into a mold. For sugar cubes, use a square cake pan or something smaller. I used a small gift box lined with parchment paper because I didn’t want to make a whole cake pan of square cubes. Once the sugar is pressed into the box, freeze them for about a half hour. Cut into cubes.
- For these little pyramid shaped cubes, I used a mini ice tray. Pack the sugar firmly into the ice tray and tap them out. Let dry.
- You can make a variety of shapes. The dollops were made by pressing the sugar mixture into a measuring spoon.
A soothing cup of tea is perfect for this cold weather, especially if your throat is a little scratchy.
I link at the wonderful parties listed here