This rag rug pillow was so easy to make and it turned out so bright and cheery!
Before you get too impressed, I didn’t make the rag rugs. I bought them at the dollar store. But I did put them together to make the pillow.
The colors are bright and vibrant and the fabric is soft t-shirt material. I’m not sure how long these would hold up if they were actually used as a rug but they should be fine for pillows.
I bought two rugs and with the wrong sides together (right sides out) I hand stitched the top and bottom together. The fringed edges were very loosely stitched and needed reinforcement. I used my sewing machine to close up one side and left the other side open to stuff the pillow. Once stuffed, I pinned the final edge and sewed it closed. Super easy!
My teenage son has decided that a whole bunch of these would look good on his bed. He has a daybed and piles of these pillows would be great for reclining. Teenagers love to recline on unmade beds with piles of pillows.
Anyway, I thought it would be fun to redecorate his room on a mood board. Navy blue bedding with piles of the rag rug pillows and a few accent pieces. Fun!
It would be nice to be able to just go out and buy all new things whenever the urge to redecorate hit. It’s also fun and challenging to recreate these looks on a budget.
- The rag rug pillows will only cost a few dollars each.
- The clock can easily be made with an existing clock and spray painted paint sticks or dowels or even craft paper rolled into a cone.
- The pendant lamp can be made with an upcycled lamp and spray paint or fabric.
- The blue table – a thrift store or existing piece spray painted.
- The yellow ottoman can be made from a thrift store purchase and new fabric and stuffing.
- The orange frame is an easy project using a dollar store frame and craft paint or spray paint.
- Baskets, vases and other knick knacks can be found on clearance at big chain stores or at dollar stores.
The first step is to start making that pile of pillows.
Thanks for visiting.
I link at the wonderful parties listed here and